Ok, so I am not a huge reader, but I like books about my faith. I think that it is good for you. I am a big fan of Max Lucado's books. Most recently, I read Fearless which was great. Landon is the one who told me about it. All of his books are very encouraging and make you feel good. Radical is not that kind of book. I heard about it from my friend, Lindsey. It pretty much calls you out. I was very nervous to read it just from reading the back cover because I was afraid of just that. One of the big things that I took from the book was that being a Christian does not just mean you are "good" it means that you have to do something (spread God's word/tell about Jesus). You will be tempted to stop reading it because you know it is right- and is sometimes uncomfortable or not easy to do something.
By the middle I was excited though, it is kind of a wake-up call for how Christians over time have started living for ourselves, instead of God. David Platt, the author is the pastor of a church in Birmingham, AL. Several Churches are a part of the Radical Experiment which is something that he challenges you to take part in for a year after reading the book. These are the 5 things the book challenges you to do for a year:
1. pray for the entire world
2. read through the entire Word
3. sacrifice your money for a specific purpose
4. spend your time in another context
5. commit your life to a multiplying community
Clay and my Mom are about to start reading it and I can't wait! I actually can't get the book off my mind and I hope after you read it that you feel the same way! It is really exciting to me to learn more about what it means to be a Christian and to read the whole Bible...I have so much to learn!!! I hope that you decide to check the book out- it is $14.95 at most bookstores. If you want, I will lend you my copy after Clay reads it- just let me know!
1 comment:
I really like David Platt too. You can listen to his sermons online - brookhills.org
He did a series on James that will also knock you on your butt!
Glad to see you reading this book, it's a good one.
Post a Comment