Monday, May 13, 2013

Mommy Morton: Mother's Day Lovefest

What a lovely Mother's Day I had.  We started out our day with my precious ones presenting their well-made, hand-decorated cards to me.  Clay too made an impressive card with hand cut letters he did himself, muy bien!  Impressive skills they have!  We moved on to some DELICIOUS pancakes made by my wonderful husband and then scurried to get ready for church.  I got to work in the 1 year old class next door to Miss Amelia's room for the first time.  I was really excited to finally have followed through on getting more involved in serving at church.  I am so thankful for caring people who take care of our children at church and I wanted to be a part of something important.  One of the most important things to me is my girls.  If I can enjoy worship without having to worry about my sweet ones' happiness and can in turn give someone else that sense of ease to make it more comfortable for them, I am happy to do it.  Going to church with young children is really a challenge, and it's not just the getting there.  It was hard for me to leave my babies with someone I don't really know for an HOUR!  The more and more they go, though, the easier it gets.  You start to learn the people and faces, they start to remember you and little things about the girls...  Last Sunday we were pulling in and Tybee said, "Yea! Church time!  I love church!"  with little sister chiming in shortly after with, "Church!"  Music to my ears as someone who grew up in church, rarely missing a Sunday as a little.  I kind of feel like since we aren't at our 'home' churches where everybody knows your name, it makes it easier to lay out a Sunday or two, but you still feel guilty for not going.  I don't want it to be like that.  I have carried around the good runny nose excuse for quite a while as well. I just don't want to be "that mom", you know, the one who brings her snot nosed baby and makes your clean nose baby a snot nosed baby for next Sunday and so on and so forth...?  But I feel like our family is getting to a good place with church.  The girls enjoy going, and we are excited to go.  We have our little Sunday routine down now (sometimes snotty nose in tow), and it is good.  And I know, "Just because you walk into a barn doesn't make you a horse", and that is not the kind of Christian I want to be.  I do however, feel that it is important to surround yourself with a community of believers to support you and one another in your faith and I hope that as a family that we do the best we can to surround ourselves with important things, so that the unimportant don't take our focus.
Let me break up my heartfelt ramblings with a funny story- when Clay picked Tybee up from her class they said they we're sorry Tybee doesn't have a card for Mom, she said she didn't want to make one because she had already done that.  And that would be Tybee for you, folks.
 
After church we headed out to McAlister's for lunch, and Grater's for some ice cream!  Happy Family.  On the way back to the car, Amelia and Tybee serenaded us with, "This Girl is on FIYYYAAAA"  and I think everyone got a little chuckle about that.  Amelia even does the "oh oh oh oh uh oh uh a oh" part- hilarious, I will have to get a video.
 
We drove back over to the house for a change of clothes and planned to let the girls sleep in the car on the way to Natural Bridge to go for a hike.  Then we changed our plans about 20 times and ended up at Raven Run to go "hike".  Clay and Tybee diligently reviewed the map before we set of on our (paved) hike.  Tybee called herself a good "trailer".  Amelia and I followed behind at a more unintentional pace while Amelia shouted, "Tybee, way fu mae".
 
When we got back home I took advantage of Mother's Day do-nothingness and layed on the couch and watched the girls play. 
This is what that looked like ^
Tybee made me a cake and Amelia sang me "Happy Birthday tutu"

and we found my nose!

During our nappy-chat time I asked Amelia to count with me.  She began, "1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6..." lost focus..."7, 8, 9, TEYAN! (mumbles....), MORTON!"  So I think, hmm, that's kind of funny she added Morton at the end of the numbers.  So, we do it again and I realize what is happening when I hear her correctly- "10, 11, CLARE, MORTON!"  This little stinker thinks that her name is part of her counting sequence, now tell me that doesn't tickle you!  So stinkin' cute.  I don't however, think that that will hold up in kindergarten, so we will work on it sometime... maybe not too soon though.
 
We finished the day with a lovely cake-creation Clay and Tybee created (Olivia-style, for those of you who have the Olivia books).  Tybee wanted to make me a vanilla and chocolate cake with cookies in it, and that is just what I got!  It was pretty good!!  I have taken in quite a bit of that cake now actually and officially approve it.
 
I'm so thankful for my family.  My girls are great, but I am not quick to forget that my sweet husband is also wonderfully amazing.  He is so patient and kind with the girls (and me when I act like a crazy person).  I'm so glad we call each other our best friend and really genuinely like each other.  It makes me happy to know that my girls have such a great example of love.  They made it a happy day for me :) love. love.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment