As Clay watered our flower bed last Tuesday he was greeted with quite a surprise- bunnies! We counted four. We assumed that the mamma bunny brought them to our flower bed due to construction around our house this week. Clay saw one of the bunnies out in the yard that evening and the next day he was still out by the bed- Hank and Tag were none the wiser. I didn't want him to be attacked though, so I took it upon myself to pick that sweet baby up and put him back with his brothers and sisters.
I know what you are thinking- and yes, I now realize that was stupid and it may have caused the mamma bunny not to come back. If it is any constellation, we don't think she was coming anyway because we found one that had not made it that next morning. We know she didn't have them in our flower bed and was probably too stressed when she had to move them from their borough.
So, naturally I feel extremely guilty about picking up "Tiddlywinks". I called our vet and while waiting to hear back from them on what to do I also called our family friend, Page. Many of you know Page and that she has raised many a wild animal. We did as she said and bought goat's milk and fed the only one we could catch that day.
My Mom and Dad came in this past weekend and Dad helped out with feeding them. We actually found 6 bunnies in the bed and got them all fed and they were scared to death (bless their little bunny hearts). We decided to let them stay in the flower bed because we thought they might be old enough to eat clovers and lettuce and had noticed some nibbling on some carrots we had put in there.
The bunnies are all gone now- no sign of them anywhere! I think this is a good sign, everyone kept telling me how hard it was to keep wild bunnies alive, so I am happy with the way this story has ended. I think that they got strong enough to leave and are living happy baby bunny lives on the other side of our fence.
The End.
No comments:
Post a Comment