So, Clay had to go into work the other night for a little while and I wanted to stay up and wait on him. What to do, what to do...yes- PINTEREST.
When he came home I was determined to:
a. Open my own Etsy shop
b. Make everyone a handmade Christmas present, starting now
c. Make my own cleaning supplies.
He laughed at me a little.
I was serious! So, yesterday we gathered up all of the things I will need to make this "dream" a reality. Lately, I have been perplexed by my Target statement and I loathe walking into Wal-Mart, not to mention just driving through the parking lot. I am good at couponing, but it is time consuming and to get the deals on cleaning supplies you almost always need to make 2-3 stops and shop weekly. This has proven to be more difficult now that I am bringing 2 little ones along, not to mention that there is only so long you can reasonable wag them around store to store without normal behavior expectations being a little unfair. So I thought to myself- "Self, you can beat the system! Make your own!" I have a friend from college who has a blog and has been making her own laundry detergent for almost 2 years and loves it, so why not?
This is where it all began.
The first thing I made is the dishwasher detergent, which is just 12 oz of Borax and 12 oz of Arm & Hammer Washing Soda. It also called for 2 packs of no sugar added Kool-aid, but they didn't have it at my Target and I am assuming it was just for a fresh smell. I don't think I care what my dishes smell like- but I will let you know soon if that is untrue.
Next up- Soap Scum Shower cleaner. The blog where I got this recipe raved about how awesome this is, so I can't wait to try it!!!
And what I may be most excited about- LAUNDRY DETERGENT!!! It is just the 3 ingredients you see and SO easy to make. Also, it ends up costing $0.17 a gallon. There are lots of different recipes, some that you grate soap, some that you cook, some powders... I chose this because it seemed realistic for me to actually take the time to make this.
So there you have it, sha-pa-boom (as Tybee says). I will update soon to let everyone know if this is worth it, but again I say- Why not? We all know how much cleaning supplies cost, and for a lot less effort than it takes me to clip coupons and drive to the deals, I have 3 new kinds of cleaner to try- and plenty of ingredients left over to make more! There are a few other things I want to make as well- oxy clean, clorox wipes and kitchen/all purpose cleaner. They are coming up next. Cross your fingers!!!
1 comment:
I make my own washing detergent. My recipe calls for a bar of Fells Naptha. We bought a grater at the dollar store to use. It smells amazing. It is located next to the other two ingredients and costs only $1.
Post a Comment